Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mom of the year over here.

In honor of Mother's Day I am going to share a stellar mommy moment I had today.

A little background...

In general, we try to let Audrey discover and do things at her own pace. For example, at playgrounds we typically let her figure out how to climb up and go down the slide. Usually she makes her way up and it takes many tries before she actually goes down the slide. She goes to the top, sits down, says no, scoots away, comes back, says no, scoots away etc. until she works up the courage to go down. Usually, this plan works pretty well, and let's be honest it is easy for us. A bit nerve wracking at times, but easy.

Today we went on a hike and then let Audrey play on the playground. However, this playground was not little kid friendly. Pretty much every playground says for kids 5-12, but usually she finds things to do, and there are stairs and it works out pretty well. This one really meant the 5-12 thing. There was no way to get onto the play structure without climbing up metal bar ladders. Yeah, not so much. Though she did try really hard and got a few steps up. Good work baby girl!

In the end we helped her so she could go down the slide if she chose. She hemmed and hawed and finally decided to go down while I was at the car getting the camera. Did I mention it was a metal slide? Most parks have plastic slides, this was a classic metal slide. I am getting to the point I swear.

I got back as she was running back to the playgorund squealing after a fun slide trip. So, JT helped her up and she came over to go down the slide. I was at the bottom because I wanted to take pictures.

Which I did.

Including this one.

Whoops, metals slides are fast. And there was no landing strip. And it was pretty far off the ground.

This all adds up to a parenting moment of the year. At least I captured it on camera.

She was fine she just landed on her butt and was scared, but I felt like a bit of an ass.

Here I am standing at the bottom of the slide taking pictures as my child sails off onto the ground. Yep, that was me.

In my defense, we do not normally catch her at the bottom of the slide she does it on her own, and I did not know JT caught her the first time. Lesson learned, metal slides are fast catching your child may be a good plan.

Happy Mother's Day, I hope you were a better mother than me today!





1 comment:

  1. You did just fine, Mom! No harm, no foul - and now Audrey knows the worst that can happen! She lands on her backside, gets up, dusts off, and laughs to do it again!

    Hah! And you got great pictures that she may hold against you someday.... =)

    ReplyDelete