Thursday, March 14, 2013

Derby Baby

Last weekend I had my first home bout post Audrey with my team, The Lansing Derby Vixens Capital Corruption. We took on the Glass City Rollers Killer Bees. Audrey and JT came to cheer me on while I tried to make it around the track without dying.

Having a baby really killed all that endurance I had. I feel so out of shape, but I suppose making and birthing a human will do that to a lady! Seriously though, it felt great to be back skating in front of our home crowd. There is nothing like hearing the crowd roar when you get lead jammer. It definitely helps me skate a little faster and harder.
Unfortunately JT and doots didn't get to see the end. Doots only made it to just after halftime before she was too tired to carry on. It was way too loud in there for her to fall asleep so she went home to bed.

She was a big hit while she was there. She got loved on by the A-team, which she loved. Even the photographer taking bout pictures managed to get a cute picture of doots and Rock of Shove! She was a good little dude while she was there, hopefully next time I can sneak a quick picture with her. Derby mama and baby pictures are the cutest. It also felt awesome to have my little lady there seeing her mama be an example of a strong woman. I know you won't remember this doots, but it still means a lot to me.
The bout was AMAZING! I did alright, I need to keep working on my endurance as mentioned above and I had two penalties which is two too many. But, the important part is that we won by two points!!

Which is exciting in itself, but it is even more exciting when you know we were down by three points going into the last jam (which only occurred because our smarty pants coach called a timeout with one second left on the game clock).

So, going into the last jam we had to get lead jammer, score at least four points, and call off the jam before the other team scored. NBD right? Oh, also we only had two of our four blockers on the track as two were in the box, they had all four. Seems like an impossible feat but my amazing teammates made it all happen. Actually, we scored five points before they scored any. 'Cause that's how we roll.

Rome is Burning and Veronica Quake blocked the S*#@ out of those four ladies and Criss Cross Slaughter Sauce zipped right through to get lead. Then Rome and Quake kept the other teams jammer back until our other skaters got out of the box and saucey could come cruising through to score five points, call off the jam, and win the game! It was intense and amazing! Obviously Saucey got MVP.

I feel it is important to mention the logistics of participating in derby while being a breastfeeding mama. This is important because (1) it is awesome how supportive the Vixens, and derby as a whole, are of this and(2) it is awesome to empower breastfeeding women. 'Cause let's face it team mom jeans rocks.

Logistically it can be challenging to do things and go places when breastfeeding. The baby has to eat, or you have to pump, every 3 or 4 hours or things get very uncomfortable. And really, the last thing one wants when playing derby are tender, full boobies. Ouch. Therefore, I always pump in the locker room right before we warm up and usually after our bout so I can watch the A team in comfort.

The thing that is amazing about this is how supportive and kind all of my teammates are about me sitting in the locker room hooked up to a milking machine. Sure, there are a few cow jokes and such but no one said "gross" or "do you have to do that in here". There was a lot of "oh you're pumping, cool". So, thank you Vixens and derbyverse for being so supportive of all women, including breastfeeding mamas. We sure do appreciate it!
And really that is what derby is all about. A community of women supporting each other in any way necessary. We are a team and we look out for one another. I. Love. That. I love my team. I love the great example it is for Audrey.

There is even a picture of me pumping after the bout. It's more of a photobomb really but it is evidence that derby rocks and being on team mom jeans is the coolest.


Photo credit for the pictures in this post (other than the milking photobomb) go to Walter J. Runway and Sports Photography. Thanks for the great pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment