Thursday, April 2, 2015

The thing about twins...

OK so here's the thing about having twins, they make you into a spectacle. Add a toddler to that pot and you will never again walk through Target without talking to a stranger. Never. Again.

I get it. Look, twins! It is novel. I know. But here is the thing, it is novel to every person we encounter. Every person is thinking the exact same thing as you. It seems at least 1 in 4 will start a conversation.

You may be thinking, jeez is talking to strangers that bad. No, not really. Though if you know JT and me you know we are pretty introverted so talking to strangers is pretty low on our list on things we'd like to do. But it isn't just the talking to them it is the conversation.

For example:

Random shopper: "Oh, my two babies. Are they twins?"

Me: "Yes" (of course they are!)

Random shopper: "Oh I always wanted twins! What are their names?"

Me: "Soren and Kai"

Random shopper: "Oh how cute, where did you get those names?"

Me: "They are Scandinavian like me" (I don't even know you)

Random shopper: "How many weeks were they when they were born? How big were they? Were they in the NICU? Are they identical?"

Me: Answers questions with smile because I am polite. But seriously I don't even KNOW you! I just met you 5 minutes ago. Are you going to ask me if I had a vaginal birth too?

Random shopper: "Are they your first?"

Me: "No, we have a two year old as well."

Random shopper: "Boy or girl?"

Me: "Girl."

Random shopper: "Oh, how perfect. They must keep you very busy!"

Me: "Yes, they do." (So leave me alone so I can finish my shopping)

Somehow I/we escape. Five minutes later random shopper number two. Start from the top...

Right now you are thinking most people cannot possibly ask that many questions. Yes. They can. Yes. They do. The only way we get away with just answering the are they twins questions is if we just keep walking. Seriously.

I totally understand that people are just interested and trying to be nice. But here is the thing, we just want to go somewhere, anywhere without having to have six million conversations with strangers. We refuse to be trapped in our home. We just want to get out and do things as a family. We do not want to be a spectacle. We just want to go about our lives with a normal amount of contact with strangers.

The guy we saw on the patio at Noodles and Company with a giant blue parrot - he wants to be a spectacle. Go ask him 856 questions. Please for the love of all things holy leave the parents with twins alone. Remember how busy we must be...

I can also go without the looks of pity. Yep, I have a kid strapped to my body, a kid in a carseat, and one holding my hand. This is my life. I'm good. I don't need any pity. Help with the door may be nice, pity I can do without.

Pro tip, wearing your babies significantly reduces the amount of attention. Since we have figured this out we only use the stroller if we have to.




No comments:

Post a Comment