Monday, December 9, 2013

Born to be a dad?

Today while fighting to get Access to accept the data I was trying to import I got to thinking. Uh-oh, right?

We often hear people say that a woman was born to be a mom, or some variation on that theme. People have said it to me. I say thank you, feel good for a little bit and go about my business. It is a nice thing to say, I think.

What I rarely, or maybe even never, hear is people telling men they were born to be a dad. I may just be oblivious. People often tell men they are great dads. Which is nice and wonderful. But, can men not be "born to be dads?"

A text JT sent me got me started down this path. Yesterday he went to the gym and basketball after work so he got home after Audrey went to bed and he didn't see her all day. He texted me and said "How do people travel I already miss Doots so much." I said it is hard but you do what you have to do, I travel more than him I have the experience here.

At any rate, I was thinking about how sweet that text was and how much JT loves being a dad. And I thought you know what, he was born to be a dad. He gets more joy from that child than most anything else in life. Hence, the deep thoughts with Kristin post.

My point is, can't men be innately disposed towards parenthood just as women can be? I think so. OK, here is where I may lose some of you...so why is being born to be a mom enough for women but not enough for men? Or maybe that isn't why people don't tell men they were born to be a dad. I'm not sure. But it seems to me that a man's desire to be a parent above all else is just as valid as the same desire in a woman.

So maybe we should start recognizing those men who seem "born to be dads" a bit more. I don't think JT would be offended if someone said, "you are such a wonderful father, you were just born to be a dad."

We could debate if that statement, said to a man or a woman, is offensive. But for now I would prefer to just take it at face value as a compliment towards one who gets joy from parenting.

Here is to all those dads who are innately good at being parents, who get joy and fulfillment from their children. I have several in my life and am certain there are more out there than many realize!



No comments:

Post a Comment